“Only by creating peace within our own mind and helping others do the same can we hope to achieve peace in this world”
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
My fascination with the brain started after my daughter had a brain virus. She had a form of encephalitis, called Adem. This affected her body functions as it caused swelling in the inner part of the brain which is connected to the spinal cord.
To help with her recovery I equipped myself with as much self-study as I could to ensure her healing was as successful as it could be.
I have continued to enjoy learning about how our minds work throughout my Yoga Journey.
I have recently been learning about ‘our thoughts’ via an on-line course Beyond Mindfulness and CBT, which I have found fascinating, and I am now studying an online accredited Stress Management Course which uses meditation and visualisation techniques.
As the pace of modern life increases, so does our stress, and learning to deal with it properly makes us happier and more productive. Another tool that is known to help with our thoughts, stress and anxiety is journalling. I have found it very beneficial and are currently studying a Journal Therapy Diploma Course.
I love reading, learning and sharing my knowledge so here is a list of some of the books I am currently reading and using in case they are of interest to you:
- Practical Mindfulness by Ken A. Verni (A step-by-step guide)
- Inward by Yung Pueblo (Supports the healing of an individual)
- Living the Sutras by Kelly DiNardo and Amy Pearce-Hayden (A guide to yoga wisdom beyond the mat)
- Mantras made Easy by Sherianna Boyle (Mantras for Happiness, Peace and Prosperity)
- The Energy of Emotions by Emily Maroutian (The 10 emotional environment and how they shape the world around us
- Eight Steps to Happiness by Gesha Kelsang Gyatso – The Buddhist way of loving kindness.
- The Yoga Mind – 52 Essential principals of yoga philosophy to deepen your practice bu Rita Jakubowicz
- The Passionate Mind – A manual for living creatively with ones self bu Joel Kramer
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Sri Swami Satchidananda